Whether you have taken all of your finals or they are around the corner, it is understandable that students get anxious and stressed during finals time. Sometimes we forget to take a breather and take some time to release stress in a healthy manner. While going to the gym, listening to soothing music, and meditating are great ways to relax, others may not realize that spreading kindness towards oneself and others can be a great method of healthy de-stressing. How? An example would be giving someone a nice, genuine compliment. Not only did you make someone’s day, but it made you feel good knowing you were the reason behind their smile and gratitude. Once you feel good, you are motivated to continue doing good deeds with optimism and hard work. So what are some other gestures of kindness that are sure to make another person’s day?
1.Hold the door open for someone.
2. Offer to carry someone’s groceries to their room or car.
3. If someone is looking lost or confused on campus (it may be a parent or an upcoming student), ask them if they need help or directions.
4. Call a friend you haven’t spoken to in awhile and ask how they’re doing. Chances are, they are feeling stressed and need a friend to cheer them up.
5. Remember peoples’ names! There is no better sound than having your own name being called.
6. Offer to babysit a dog or a kid for a busy person for free.
7. Be on time to important meetings and dates. Whether you have a meeting with a boss or meeting a friend at the mall, being on time tells the person they are worthy of your time and commitment.
8. Compliment a random stranger. Spread the love.
9. Listen to people when they talk. I know this one is obvious, but when you are listening to the person you are talking to, a level of trust is created.
10. Surprise a sick friend with a nice-cooked meal or a small “Get Well Soon” gift.
11. Offer to tutor a friend who is struggling in a class.
12. Tell the important people in your life that you appreciate them. We get so caught up with our hectic schedules and chores that we sometimes forget to show our dear ones how much we appreciate their significance in our lives. By doing this small gesture, friendships and connections are bound to last.