Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sweater Love


I think we all know that Georgia’s winter weather is unpredictable. One day you may be walking around campus in a light jacket, while the next day you’re dressing like an Eskimo just to walk to the Commons. Trust me, I know the struggle. And girls, we all know the worst part about these freezing winter days here at KSU is the fact that trying to stay warm and cute doesn’t exactly go hand in hand. You can’t show off any cute shirts because they are hidden under layers, and hats will kill just about any good hair day. But, there is one thing that is cute, trendy, functional, can be seen, and it even works to keep you warm...LEG WARMERS!! They’re a marvelous invention, they really are. They’re essentially sleeves for your legs, and they work wonders for your warmth and your style.

I remember when I first started noticing girls wearing leg warmers around campus and my first thought was, “I want those”.  I searched everywhere and I had the hardest time finding them. When I finally found a pair that I liked, I was devastated to see that they were anywhere from $10 to $15. Now I know what you’re thinking, “Becca, that’s not too much, you’re just cheap”. Yeah, I get that. But, when you’re a poor college kid like me, and you only have $13 in your bank account, $15 might as well be $150. So, I sadly had no leg warmers to wear as the days were getting colder, and my legs were getting colder too.
But then one day when I was going through my closet, I noticed some old sweaters that I never wear anymore and I knew I never would wear them again. As I was gathering them, I noticed that the sleeves looked a lot like leg warmers. The cuffs were perfect to stick out of my boots and the patterns on the sleeves looked just like the leg warmers I saw in the store. I grabbed my scissors and went to town on those bad boys. I cut the sleeves off, making the sweater now look like a T-shirt, and I cut tons of them! And the best part about it was that it didn’t cost me a thing!


I now had my homemade leg warmers and I was thrilled! And because you are tucking them into boots, you don’t even have to sew up the ends if you don’t want to! But wait, there’s more! If  you are really feeling creative and crafty, you can take the part of the sleeve that is still left on the sweater and cut off a band that is about 3 to 4 inches thick and you now have yourself a headband! It’s as simple as that. And the headbands do not have to be sewn either. The worn, frayed look is actually really cute and it adds interest to a simple head band. So without spending a penny, I was able to make myself my own leg warmers and headbands with only a few cuts and snips. AND YOU CAN DO THIS TOO!! If you don’t have any old sweaters, I promise you any thrift store in the area of Kennesaw has plenty! Being warm and having cute clothing items has never been so easy. So stay warm KSU!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment