Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pay It Forward : Walt Disney World






What Visiting Walt Disney World Can Teach You About Life

I have the unique privilege of having grandparents who work for Walt Disney World and can get free tickets for my family. This made visiting Walt Disney World our usual family vacation until I was about 15. For spring break this year, my brother and I decided to go back one more time before he went to college and I got a real job. While the trip was very relaxing and a ton of fun, I learned that there is more magic to these parks than how I magically emptied my wallet. These parks have hidden life lessons everywhere you look.


The Best Things In Life Are Worth Waiting For

Anyone who has been to Disney can attest to the long wait times in the Florida sun to get on a two-minute ride. The folks fortunate enough to get fast passes before they run out can also attest to the luxury of a fast pass and cutting the line in front of droves of impatient tourists. I discovered during this trip that the lines help build anticipation and appreciation for the small things—much like in life. When I did use a fast pass, the ride wasn’t as fun. There wasn’t much time for imagination, we just walked on the ride and off we went. I didn’t appreciate the ride as much because I didn’t have to wait for it. In life it’s easy to take for granted the things that come easily to us. Learn to appreciate the wait; for after all, life is not all about the destination, it’s about the journey.

Don’t Follow Your Dreams, Live Them. You’ll Achieve More

While on a Hollywood Studios tour ride I learned that Walt Disney World almost didn’t happen. Florida initially denied Walt Disney from purchasing the Orlando property that Disney now sits on. The Disney Corporation had to purchase the land in big chunks by giving board members money to purchase the land individually as part of a secret project. After the land was purchased, the board members gave the land over to Disney and construction began.  The theme parks now play a major role in Orlando’s economy. I would be willing to bet that Florida isn’t too upset that the parks are now there. The lesson to take away here is that Walt Disney did not follow his dreams, but rather, he lived them. In life you can follow your dreams forever, but you’ll never get to reap the benefits until you live your life centered around those dreams.

People Are RUDE! But Smile Anyway

They say that Disney World is the “happiest place on Earth,” but if you take a look around in a Disney Park will find that 10% of people that can find something to frown about. The thing I’ve learned over the years is that those types of people exist everywhere. You find them at work, at school, in your clubs, in your family and even yourself sometimes. So how do you deal with people like that? Find a reason to smile. Even when it’s hard, find a reason to smile. Not only to try to make the other person smile, but for yourself. The world can be kind of a hard place to live, and taking a second to stop and smile makes the world a better place. Granted there’s a time and a place, probably not at a funeral, but the next time you have to deal with someone who’s in a bad mood, try to smile.

Life is Not All About You

Disney parks are expensive. Let’s just face it. It costs $1209.84 for a family of four to go to Disney World for four days and visit only one park per day. That doesn’t include meals or a place to sleep.  I think that some parents would much rather go to the beach for free, bring some drinks, an umbrella, a comfy chair and relax. Instead they’re paying crazy expensive prices and standing on their feet all day so that the kids can have a good time. Life is not all about you, sometimes you have to do things that you don’t want to do, and sometimes that can be expensive.  It reminded me that my childhood is over and soon I will be taking on the world by myself, just as my parents did, and soon I will be paying those prices for my kids, who after 4 hours in the park will likely be falling asleep, but I will do it for them just as my parents did for me because life is not always about me. Sometimes you do things for others out of the goodness of your heart because it’s just the right thing to do.


- RA Braden








No comments:

Post a Comment