Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Why Getting Involved On Campus Is A MUST [From A KSU Student Perspective]

Many people come to college and dont get involved on campus. KSU has over 200 organizations for residents and students to take a part in. Getting involved can change a persons experience in college.

There are many benefits, such as:

1.    Making friends:
-   Making friends is a very important part of college. The friends you make in college are the friends that you will have the rest of your life. By getting involved in THRIVE my first year I made friends day one and still have those friends. They were my roommates and are now best friends.

2.    The connection to the campus:
-   Getting involved helps you to connect to the campus more and want to stay at KSU. It shows that those who get involved in college are more likely to stay at that college and enjoy their college years.

3.    Passions and strengths
-   It will help you to find what you like and dont like. By getting involved, you can try different organizations and clubs until you find the right one for you. By becoming involved in an organization or club you can utilize your strengths.

4.    Advisors:
-   By getting involved on campus, you will find advisors to help you get through all 4+ years. When I got involved in the Center For Student Leadership (CSL), I gained multiple advisors that I can go to for anything. Whether I am stressed or just want to talk, they are there for me. My advisors give me advice and help me make the decision that is right for me. My advisors are one of the main reasons I have stayed at KSU.

5.    Resume:
-   Getting involved also helps you to build your resume. Having a good GPA is important, however if you have not participated in any activates or been involved in any organizations then you wont expectancies to put on your resume. Many employers want to see that you have been involved on campus, while still maintaining a strong GPA. They want to see that you can work well with others while doing your job.

Being involved with the CSL and ResLife has changed my life. I met friends that I will have forever and who will always be there for me. I have learned how to be a leader and through that experience have discovered my leadership styles. Being in the CSL and ResLife has given me a reason to stay at KSU and a reason to stay involved on campus. Even if you are not a freshmen, it is not too late to get involved. There are many organizations on campus that have members of all age groups and accept students at any level in school. To get involved, go to Owl Life(https://owllife.kennesaw.edu/) and click on organizations and a list of the different organizations will pop up. Under each name is a description. Scroll until you find the club/organization that is right for you.
-Sam, Resident Assistant



No comments:

Post a Comment